Robert Brooke (Virginia)
This article includes a list of general references, but it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (August 2016) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|10th Governor of Virginia|
December 1, 1794 – December 1, 1796
|Preceded by||Henry Lee III|
|Succeeded by||James Wood|
|Attorney General of Virginia|
1796 – February 27, 1800
|Preceded by||John Marshall|
|Succeeded by||Philip Norborne Nicholas|
|Member of the Virginia House of Delegates|
Spotsylvania County, Colony of Virginia, British America
|Died|| (aged about 39)|
Fredericksburg, Virginia, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Mary Ritchie Hopper|
|Alma mater||Edinburgh University|
Robert Brooke was likely born in Spotsylvania County in the Colony of Virginia.  His birth year is uncertain; most sources have him born around 1760. He was the son of Richard Brooke, and grandson of Robert Brooke, a skilled surveyor, who had been one of Lt. Governor Alexander Spotswood's " Knights of the Golden Horseshoe Expedition".
He was educated at Edinburgh University, and on returning home at the beginning of the revolution was captured by Howe, British admiral, and sent back to England, whence he went to Scotland, then to France, and reached Virginia in a French vessel carrying arms for the continentals. He joined Captain Larkin Smith's company of cavalry, was captured near Richmond by Simcoe in 1781, was exchanged, and rejoined the army.
From 1791 to 1794 he represented Spotsylvania county in the house of delegates. On December 1, 1794 he was elected governor and served two years.
In 1795 Robert Brooke built a home upon Federal Hill, which looked over Sandy Bottom to Marye's Heights, a thousand yards away.
He was a Democratic-Republican, and in 1798 was elected attorney-general of the state, over Bushrod Washington, nephew of General Washington.
He died while still attorney general on February 27, 1800. 
Brooke (England) AND Taliaferro (Venice, Italy)
- Father Richard Brooke, b. 1732
- Mother Ann Hay Taliaferro, b. September 7, 1731
- Robert Brooke (1760—d. February 27, 1800, Fredericksburg, Va.)
- Married 1786 Mary Ritchie
- Children: Richard Brooke, b. August 14, 1787
- Descendants: Many living 2009.
- Related to Washington family; descended from Patrick Henry's family (John Fontaine m. Martha Henry); Patrick Henry's family descended from Gen. Alexander Spottswood's family of Virginia, of "Knights of the Golden Horshoe" history.
- Maury Family Tree by Sue West for family—privately printed.
- Recollections of a Virginian in the Mexican, Indian, and Civil Wars by Maj. Gen. Dabney Herndon Maury
- Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Volume IIII—Governors of the State—1776–1861
- Obituaries in Fredericksburg Virginia Herald, February 28, 1800, and Richmond Virginia Argus, March 7, 1800.
- Biography in John T. Kneebone et al., eds., Dictionary of Virginia Biography (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1998– ), 2:267–269. ISBN 0-88490-199-8.
- Archival Records
Henry Lee III
Governor of Virginia
John Marshall (acting)
Attorney General of Virginia
1796 – 1800
Philip Norborne Nicholas