|Member of the Honolulu City Council from District 7|
|Assumed office |
January 2, 2013
|Preceded by||Romeo Munoz Cachola|
|Vice Speaker of the Hawaii House of Representatives|
|Preceded by||Michael Y. Magaoay|
|Succeeded by||John Mizuno|
|Member of the
Hawaii House of Representatives|
from the 29th district
January 4, 2007 – January 16, 2013
|Preceded by||Felipe "Jun" Abinsay, Jr.|
|Succeeded by||Karl Rhoads|
Jose Maria Brias Manahan
1971 (age 48–49)
Jose Maria Brias "Joey" Manahan (born 1971) is a Filipino American politician from the state of Hawaii. A member of the Democratic Party, he currently serves as a Honolulu City Councilmember. Manahan is a former member of the Hawaii House of Representatives, serving from 2007 through 2013, and as vice speaker in 2011 and 2012. 
Manahan's father died when he was young.  He moved with his mother to the San Francisco Bay Area at the age of 10,  where he attended Bellarmine College Preparatory School.  His mother remarried in 1991, when the family moved to Hawaii. Manahan attended community college in California, before transferring to the University of Hawaii.  
While he studied at the University of Hawaii, Manahan became interested in his identity as a Filipino American, and worked with Filipino immigrants. Through this program, he was introduced to Dennis Arakaki, a member of the Hawaii House of Representatives, who mentored him. He later worked for Arakaki as a legislative assistant,  and for State Senator Donna Mercado Kim. 
Manahan was first elected to the State House in 2006, winning by 11 votes.   In 2012, Manahan announced that he would not seek reelection to the State House, and would instead run for the Honolulu City Council in the 2012 elections,  and he won.
Manahan represents Honolulu City Council District 7, which includes Kalihi, lwilei, Kalihi Kai, Mapunapuna, Salt Lake, Aliamanu, Hickam, Foster Village, Ford Island, and Sand Island.  In addition to his role on the City Council, Manahan currently serves as Chairman of the Committee on Parks and Customer Services, as well as Vice-Chair of the Committee on Transportation. 
Manahan is married to Maan Santos. 
- "Honolulu Councilman Manahan Running for U.S. Congress". Honolulu Civil Beat. February 14, 2014. Archived from the original on February 22, 2014. Retrieved February 17, 2014.
- Philippine Daily Inquirer - Google News Archive Search
- "Manahan is our man in Hawaii | Sunday Life, Lifestyle Features, The Philippine Star". philstar.com. December 5, 2010. Retrieved February 17, 2014.
- "House Vice Speaker Manahan announces bid for City Council". Honolulu Star-Advertiser. February 2, 2012. Retrieved September 30, 2012.
- "Honolulu City Council". Archived from the original on February 25, 2014.
- "About Joey Manahan".
- "Joey Manahan announces Congressional run - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser". Staradvertiser.com. Retrieved February 17, 2014.