Iron River, Wisconsin
Parts of this article (those related to demographics) need to be updated.February 2020)(
Iron River, Wisconsin
Downtown Iron River
Location of Iron River, Wisconsin
|• Total||34.9 sq mi (90.4 km2)|
|• Land||31.5 sq mi (81.6 km2)|
|• Water||3.4 sq mi (8.8 km2)|
|Elevation||1,207 ft (368 m)|
|• Density||36/sq mi (13.8/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 ( Central (CST))|
|• Summer ( DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Area code(s)||715 and 534|
|FIPS code||55-37200 |
|GNIS feature ID||1583434 |
Iron River is a town in Bayfield County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 1,123 at the 2010 census.  The census-designated place of Iron River is located in the town. The unincorporated community of Topside is also located in the town.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 34.9 square miles (90.4 km2), of which 31.5 square miles (81.6 km2) is land and 3.4 square miles (8.8 km2), or 9.73%, is water. 
At the 2000 census,  there were 1,059 people, 485 households and 311 families residing in the town. The population density was 33.7 per square mile (13.0/km2). There were 973 housing units at an average density of 31.0 per square mile (12.0/km2). The racial make-up was 96.79% White, 1.32% Native American, 0.57% Asian, and 1.32% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.38% of the population.
There were 485 households of which 23.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.3% were married couples living together, 6.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.7% were non-families. 30.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.18 and the average family size was 2.68.
19.9% of the population were under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 22.9% from 25 to 44, 28.0% from 45 to 64, and 23.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females, there were 98.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.8 males.
The median household income was $28,796 and the median family income was $36,597. Males had a median income of $30,060 and females $18,125. The per capita income was $16,449. About 10.2% of families and 15.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.2% of those under age 18 and 12.4% of those age 65 or over.
The Iron River Lion's Club sponsors the annual Blueberry Festival at Moon Lake Park in July. The festival includes rides, crafts, food and games. 
The Bayfield County Fair takes place annually in August and includes grandstand shows, exhibitions and carnival rides. 
U.S. Highway 2 serves as a main route in the community. Other routes include County Highways A and H.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 5, 2007. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Iron River town, Bayfield County, Wisconsin". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved May 9, 2014.
- "2011 Iron River Lions Blueberry Festival". Bayfield County. Archived from the original on April 14, 2013. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Bayfield County Fair". Bayfield County. Archived from the original on August 19, 2012. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "School District of Maple". School District of Maple. Retrieved November 16, 2017.
- Town of Iron River official website
- Iron River Area Chamber of Commerce
- Iron River Lions Club
- Iron River Pike Chain of Lakes Association, Inc
- Sanborn fire insurance maps: 1893 1898 1904 1917