Glendale Community College (Arizona)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Maricopa County Community College District |
Higher Learning Commission
North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing
|President||Dr. Teresa Leyba Ruiz|
Latitude and Longitude:
National Junior College Athletic Association |
Arizona Community College Athletic Conference
Glendale Community College (GCC) is a community college in Glendale, Arizona. GCC opened in 1965. Programs include associate degrees, certificate programs, industry-specific training and university transfer. GCC is a part of the Maricopa County Community College District, one of the largest community college districts in the United States. The main campus is a 147-acre (0.59 km2) site located at 59th and Olive Avenue in Glendale.
GCC offers classes in various sites throughout the area. GCC North in Phoenix opened in fall 2000 with 839 students from the northern part of Maricopa County. Financial backing donated by New York Architect Ron Elsensohn allowed for a major expansion of the north campus which unveiled in the fall of 2008. GCC also offers the first two years of general education requirements at the North Valley campus of Northern Arizona University also in Phoenix and select classes at other sites such as Valley Vista High School in Surprise.
Created in 1962 with one college, the MCCCD currently consists of ten separately accredited colleges. MCCCD is one of the largest community college districts in the United States. On April 12, 1965, GCC was established by the Governing Board as the second MCCCD college, and charged with serving the higher educational needs of the West Valley. In August 1967, the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools first accredited GCC as an individual college. Accreditation continues today through The Higher Learning Commission / North Central Association and includes both the GCC Main campus and the GCC North site.
Glendale Community College has 111 degree and certificate programs.
GCC is home of multiple national, regional, and conference championship teams, All-American athletes and Hall of Fame coaches. GCC has produced seven National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) national championship teams: 1967 cross country, 1968 baseball, 1988 football, 1994 women's softball, 1996 women's basketball, 2000 football, 2005 football, 2015 volleyball.
- Jan Brewer, Governor of Arizona, 2009–2015
- Vince Furnier, better known today as Alice Cooper
- Ron Kershaw, award winning television news director
- Damon Mays Professional Football Player
- Joe Riggs, professional mixed martial artist, former WEC Middleweight Champion; formerly fighting for ( Bellator), Strikeforce, and the Ultimate Fighting Championship 
- Ted Sarandos Chief Content Officer at Netflix
- Randy Soderman Professional Soccer Player
- Rick Soderman Professional Soccer Player
- Philippi Sparks, Professional football player for the Giants and Cowboys. Father of Jordin Sparks, another notable Phoenix native.
- "Joe Riggs UFC Bio". Retrieved August 23, 2014.