Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy
This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (May 2019) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||"Enter. Active. Learning."|
The Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy (FIEA) is a graduate school of the College of Arts and Humanities at the University of Central Florida located in Orlando, Florida, United States.  The director of the school is Ben Noel, former vice president and chief operating officer of EA's Orlando-based Tiburon studio. 
FIEA is a graduate video game development school offering an accredited master's degree in interactive entertainment. Areas of study include game design, art, programming and production. The Academy is located at UCF's Center For Emerging Media, which also houses other graduate and undergraduate programs in art, architecture, digital media, and film. FIEA was established in 2004 by UCF's School of Film and Digital Media and industry partners, and accepted its first class of students in Fall of 2005. The site of FIEA was formerly the downtown Expo Centre until late 2004 when the city of Orlando leased the building to the University. The building is now called the UCF Center For Emerging Media.
FIEA follows a nonstandard educational philosophy which centers on the simulation of a professional video game development environment. The configuration of the building and course work is designed to reinforce this approach. Team-based work combining the efforts of students from the school's three primary disciplines of art, programming, and production is encouraged at all times. A capstone video game creation project for each class of students forms the focus of the second and third semesters of work, comprising pre-production and production phases, respectively.
FIEA's first class of twelve students graduated in December 2006. It has now graduated more than 537 students who have been hired by more than 135 companies worldwide. Recent graduates have accepted jobs at Zynga, Sony, Electronic Arts, Google, YouTube, Bethesda, BioWare, Telltale Games, and many others.
Games developed at FIEA:
- Class of December '06 - "Cohort 1"
- The Blob
- Class of May '07 - "Cohort 2"
- Class of December '07 - "Cohort 3"
- Master Plan
- Class of December '08 - "Cohort 4"
- Zephyr: Tides of War
- Class of December '09 - "Cohort 5"
- Class of December '10 - "Cohort 6"
- Class of December '11 - "Cohort 7"
- Class of December '12 - "Cohort 8"
- Class of December '13 - "Cohort 9"
- Pitch Jumper
- Warp Derby
- Class of December '14 - "Cohort 10"
- Class of December '15 - "Cohort 11"
- Class of December '16 - "Cohort 12"
- Class of December '17 - "Cohort 13"
- The Draft
- The Logician
- University of Central Florida
- Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy
- Center for Emerging Media
- Institute for Simulation and Training
- "UCF: College of Arts & Humanities: Departments and Programs". University of Central Florida College of Arts and Humanities. Retrieved 2009-06-17.
- "Ben Noel, Executive Director - Faculty & Staff Bios – FIEA". Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy at the University of Central Florida. Retrieved 2009-06-17.[ permanent dead link]
- "Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy Opens in Orlando", The National Center for Simulation, November 8, 2005. Accessed May 30, 2007
- "UCF Gets Downtown Digital Media Campus", Florida High Tech Corridor Council, November 2004. Accessed May 30, 2007
- Colavecchio-Van Sickler, Shannon. "Gaming for school credit", The St. Petersburg Times, November 19, 2006. Accessed May 30, 2007
- Binette, Chad. "First Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy Class Graduates", UCF News and Information, December 12, 2006. Accessed May 30, 2007