56 Leonard Street
|56 Leonard Street|
56 Leonard Street Located in Tribeca, New York City Hudson River
|Location||Manhattan, New York, United States|
Latitude and Longitude:
|Roof||821 ft (250 m)|
|Top floor||796 ft (243 m)|
|Floor area||500,005 square feet (46,452.0 m2)|
|Design and construction|
Herzog & de Meuron|
Goldstein, Hill & West Architects
|Structural engineer||WSP Global|
56 Leonard Street is an 821-foot-tall (250 m), 57-story  skyscraper on Leonard Street in the neighborhood of Tribeca in Manhattan, New York, United States. The building was designed by the Swiss architecture firm Herzog & de Meuron, which describes the building as "houses stacked in the sky."  It is the tallest structure in Tribeca. 
The building has 145 condominium residences priced between US$3.5 million and US$50 million. Residences range in size from 1,418 to 6,400 square feet (131.7 to 594.6 m2) and include two to five bedrooms all with private outdoor spaces.
As of May 2013, 70% of the building had sold.  According to building developer Izak Senbahar, the building was 92% sold in seven months.  In June 2013, a penthouse at 56 Leonard went into contract for US$47 million, making it the most expensive residential property ever sold below Midtown Manhattan. The building was completed in 2017 and is informally referred to as the " Jenga Building". 
Alexico Group's Izak Senbahar purchased the land and the air rights in 2007 from the New York Law School for US$150 million. Construction began that same year.  Foundation work on this tower began in 2008, but was shut down before the end of the year when the project was put on hold. After nearly four years, construction finally resumed in October 2012. 
56 Leonard is designed by the 2001 Pritzker Prize winning Swiss architecture firm Herzog & de Meuron. Anish Kapoor, known for the public sculpture Cloud Gate in Chicago, designed a similar sculpture to sit at the base of the building.  Herzog & de Meuron also designed the building's interiors, which include custom designed kitchens, fixtures, bathrooms, and fireplaces.  Goldstein, Hill & West Architects LLP is the architect of record. 
There is 17,000 square feet (1,600 m2) of amenity spaces on the ninth and tenth floors, including a 75 ft (23 m) pool, a 25-seat screening room, a private dining room, and a children's playroom. The building has a total of ten elevators; owners will share a hallway with at most one other apartment. The developers also figured a generator on the ninth floor into the plans. 
There are eight full-floor apartments at the top, ranging from 5,200 to 6,400 square feet (480 to 590 m2), with 14-to-19-foot-high (4.3 to 5.8 m) ceilings.  In addition, the building features a double-height lobby sheathed in "gleaming" black granite. 
- 2017 Engineering Excellence National Recognition Award by ACEC 
- 2017 Best Projects Winner in the Residential/ Hospitality Category by Engineering News-Record 
- "56 Leonard Street". CTBUH Skyscraper Center.
- "Stacked houses in the sky". WSP Group. Retrieved February 1, 2016.
- Barbanel, Josh (June 26, 2013). "Condo's Price Is Straight Up". The Wall Street Journal.
- Jason Sheftell (May 9, 2013). "Jenga-like 60-story skyscraper would be Tribeca's tallest". New York Daily News.
- Creswell, Julie (November 3, 2013). "Stratospheric Views, and Prices". The New York Times.
- "Step Into a $17.75 Million New York City Penthouse". Bloomberg.com. September 8, 2017. Retrieved October 16, 2017.
- 56 Leonard Street at Emporis
- REW Staff (January 16, 2013). "Construction starts on 56 Leonard Street". Real Estate Weekly. Archived from the original on March 5, 2016. Retrieved March 16, 2013.
- Alexei Barrionuevo (March 14, 2013). "A Few Signs of Spring Downtown". The New York Times.
- "Market Focus - Multifamily Housing" (PDF). archrecord.construction.com. Architectural Record. July 2013.
- "56 Leonard Street". CityRealty.
- "ACEC - Engineering Excellence Awards". www.acec.org. Retrieved October 16, 2017.
- "Residential/Hospitality Best Project: 56 Leonard". Retrieved October 16, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 56 Leonard Street.|