The Diary of Horace Wimp
|"The Diary of Horace Wimp"|
|Single by Electric Light Orchestra|
|from the album Discovery|
|B-side||"Down Home Town"|
|Released||13 July 1979 |
|Recorded||1979, Musicland Studios, Munich|
|Electric Light Orchestra singles chronology|
|Discovery track listing|
Released in 1979 as a single, the song is Beatlesque in nature and became a Top Ten hit in the UK and Ireland. The lyrics describe a week in the life of a repressed man who wants to express his affection towards a woman he meets, and overcomes his shy nature with the help of "a voice from above." The day Saturday is omitted – this is because, as explained by Jeff Lynne: "The football match is played on a Saturday".
A song about a lucky lad who somehow defies the odds and gets the girl. Really wild use of the vocoder.— Jeff Lynne 
"Down Home Town" contains an intro with a backmasked message, the backing chorus of the previous track, "Waterfall": "Face the mighty waterfall, face the mighty waterfall." This song includes an orchestral intro (after the "Waterfall" refrain) and a similar ending. These reverse recorded words were only used because of the sound effect. 
|Australia ( Kent Music Report) ||48|
|Ireland ( IRMA) ||10|
|UK Singles ( OCC) ||8|
|West Germany ( Official German Charts) ||52|
- "BPI certifications for ELO".
- "ELO - The Diary of Horace Wimp". YouTube. Archived from the original on 19 December 2021. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "CITIZEN KANE – Rosebud". YouTube. Archived from the original on 19 December 2021. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- Lynne, Jeff (2001). Discovery (Media notes). Electric Light Orchestra.
- Guttenbacher, Patrik; Haines, Marc; von Petersdorff, Alexander (1996). Unexpected Messages.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970-1992. St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- " The Irish Charts – Search Results – The Diary of Horace Whimp". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- " Offiziellecharts.de – Electric Light Orchestra – The Diary Of Horace Wimp". GfK Entertainment charts. Retrieved 18 February 2019.